Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Why do I feel like an Old Man?


As I am now encroaching upon my 3rd trimester (although by 25 weeks, I was already feeling like I was there) I am beginning to remember those ever-so-lovely symptoms of pregnancy that make me feel like...an old man. (Say what?!)Yes, for posterity, I feel the need to record these similarities so I can be reminded of the not-so-pleasant side that you tend to forget about when you're in the midst of that happy 2nd trimester glow. Now, seriously, what's the deal? Isn't pregnancy supposed to be this joyous symbol of womanhood & femininity? Why am I starting to feel like ol' Uncle Louie? (I don't actually have an Uncle Louie. The name just fit.)

(*Note: I do not suffer from all of the following "Old Man Symptoms." These are a list of those that I have read about or heard about from others that are particularly annoying. For comparison purposes, of course.)

1. The Shuffle/the waddle
2. The aching back
3. Heartburn/Acid Reflux (This one's been killer for me this time. Guess it's especially prevalent in us shorties...ahem...vertically challenged people.)
4. Snoring
5. Gas/ Belching
6. Hemorrhoids
7. The grunt (when you try to stand up, or bend down to pick up those blasted blocks for the hundredth time.)
8. Falling asleep on the couch. (Okay, so I did this before.)
9. Frequent urination (perhaps old man-like if you have prostate problems.)
10. Sloppy appearance (Maybe you just have to be "man" for this to apply. But seriously, are there magnets in my belly that attract every silly splatter of toothpaste or glob of grape jelly that sits on the edge of the counter as my belly clumsily grazes by? I'm ruining all my shirts!)

And is it just me, or is everyone looking exceptionally skinny right now? Good for them, of course, but in my efforts to try to hide my state of lumpiness, I tend to accessorize to take attention off my bulbous physique & end up looking more ridiculous in the process. So, if you see me with some goofy looking hair bow or brooch, just smile & nod. I'm just trying to get a little 'cute' in until the day when I'll be holding that 'cute' on the outside of my body. (Then we begin with spit up & baby poop stains & the like, but that's a whole 'nother post.)

Anything you'd like to add to the list? Your least-favorite pregnancy symptom perhaps?

4 comments:

Angel said...

My least favorite? That would be the aching back and the acid reflux. Ug. I had to start wearing a belly belt when I was three months along with Tyler. Not so fun.

Hang in there -- it won't last forever!

Melissa said...

You have just reminded me why I don't want to be pregnant again. And then Jacob says ridiculous things like, "It would be fun to have another kid." I asked him, "Fun for WHO?" (Or should that be "whom?" Anyhoo...).

Unknown said...

You do NOT look sloppy. And for the record, you forgot gas. Let's not be shy about it.....Or was that just me during my pregnancy.

leah said...

If it makes you feel any better, I am only 4 months along and I am already getting those ice cream, jelly, juice, etc. stains all over the belly part of my shirts.