
Oh, the horror! This is not something I have been looking forward to, but it has become a necessity. (Duct-taping his diapers on was a great idea at the time, but he figured his way around that one, too.) It's been $$ enough paying for size 5 diapers since this kid was 5 months old! I don't know how we could do two sets of diapers at once. Especially with Matt still (yes, still) looking for a job.
I've heard lots of wonderful Potty Training Horror stories. The struggles. The tantrums. The "not caring if they're sittin' in their own mess." The "Boys are harder" declarations. I kept hearing moms say they just waited until their kid was 3 years old & that helped. How could I get my crazy 2 1/2 year old to sit still on the potty for 5 seconds, let alone 5 minutes?!
And so, I come to you, oh wise (and few) readers. Any tips that you wish you knew before you started? Any preferences in potty chairs? Or, where the heck can I find those blasted "plastic pants" that cover the undies?
We've delved into our 1st week of training so far. We've had some daily successes (& accidents) but I know their enthusiasm can turn on you quickly. Just trying to keep my bases covered for the long road ahead.
3 comments:
I tried when Jared was 2 1/2. He had no interest whatsoever. I have tried off and on until the last month when I bought Sesame Street underwear. That seems to have done the trick other than bowel movements. He still won't have anything to do with that part. My advice is not to push him. When he is ready, he is ready
Ethan will be 3 in Jan. and we started potty training in and of August/Sept. He was not all that into it at first but I learned to not have him wear a diaper or underwear, just naked having his potty in the family room. That way, if he had to go, it wasn't far and he couldn't go in anything else. Then I made a potty chart. Each time he went he got a sticker and a chocolate kiss. Once he started to go more often I wouldn't remind him about the sticker or treat and eventually he just went pee and that was that. It took a little longer for poo. He still doesn't poo in the "big potty", just his little one that I leave by his bed at night. He usually poops in the morning, before we get up. He still wears pull ups to bed and he stops drinking anything at least an hour before bed. I tried when he was about 2 and he did not want it, so I would always offer but not push. Then when we got real underwear, he picked them out, gave the lady his money... it was a big deal. I explained that we do not go pee or poo in the underwear. If he has accidents I never got angry or annoyed (even though I was annoyed) and would always be positive. Watch out for when he gets quiet in a corner or stays still. I also would set our kitchen timer for every 30 mins. When the timer went off we stopped whatever we were doing and went pee. Now he goes longer than that and will tell me when he has to go. GOOD LUCK!!!!
I will just tell you that my boy was easier than both my girls!
Post a Comment