Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mother's Day. A Day of Peace.

Saturday was our big Stake Activity Day Girls Mother Daughter Day (I can never find a way to shorten that) which is our biggest Stake event we put on in Stake Primary. Phew! My big project was the food & since I tend to kind of panic & over-prepare when feeding large groups of people (à la Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole fiasco circa 1999) I was thankful it turned out. Especially since I freaked & changed the menu the week before based on my 10 year old piano student's advice. (I'm also thankful for the websites specifically designed to calculate how much food feeds 100+ people.)
There were at least 3 wedding receptions that day in our Stake, so we were left without additional helpers & I learned that the Stake Center really needs to invest in a broom that has a handle; not just the bristles, because that makes sweeping rather awkward. It reminded me of the Smothers Brothers song, "Crabs Walk Sideways & Lobsters Walk Straight." It was a fun Mother/ Daughter Hoe-Down, but I'm sure glad it's over. And very glad I don't have to memorize words to any more "Special Musical Numbers" any time soon. Welcome back, "Eensie Weensie Spider!" How I've missed you!

Mother's Day brought me these lovelies.
The morning of, Matt was a sweetie & actually woke up (before 7am, and before I blowdried my hair!) & made breakfast of Orange Rolls, fruit salad & Lil' Smokies. Yum! At church, I subbed as chorister in Primary while Spencer tried to feast on the contents of all the purses sitting on the side of the Primary room.
When we returned home...I actually got to take a NAP when Spencer did! (Much needed after all that handle-less broom sweeping the day before.) Matt watched Spencer for me while I made dinner (one of the best presents!) and I got a card that plays music when opened. It plays "You Are My Sunshine" which is one of my family's tradition songs. He didn't even know that! How perfect! Inside the card was my present: the commitment (per my request) to clean the garage (seeing as it looks like Matt's artwork exploded in there...along with other strange things that don't belong in a garage.) so I can park my car in there before the Summer Hot season begins!) All my previous requests for Anniversary & B-Day presents to "just try harder to clean up after yourself" have gone unfulfilled so this one had a 2 week deadline.
All right, the clock's tickin'! It's Wednesday & nothing has been touched yet. Ask me on the 25th, and hopefully I'll have good news!
The day was fun, and made me glad to be a mom & glad I had such a great mom who's a great grandma & raised two children that seemed to turn out pretty good!
I made her this Scrapbook page but couldn't get the resolution good enough to print it through Costco. Any pointers out there from those who've printed before?

2 comments:

Angel said...

What a fun day! I am so happy for you and Matt's commitment to clean out the garage. Yay! I hope that he follow through and you can escape the horrible heat in your car.

Melissa said...

Annie, did the Costco website say the resolution wasn't good enough? Usually with them, I have to click on "upload for large prints" when I'm uploading my scrapbook pages. It's in small writing at the bottom of the upload window. Try that and see if it works.