Monday, February 11, 2008

No Green Thumb Here!

So, in 2006 for my b-day, my sister (who always comes up with the neat-o gift ideas) gave me a gift certificate to "Green Thumb" to get Bare Root roses the following January. Since my front yard needs some serious sprucin' up (it's a miracle my hydrangeas come back every year!) I took an extra day off work after my planned get-away to Palm Desert to buy & plant them. Well, that was the infamous house-flood week-end, so I was a bit busy. Fast forward a whole year later & I finally get my booty out the door to get the long awaited rose plant.
I chose the "Double Delight:" one of the flowers from my wedding bouquet.
I read once somewhere that the type of flowers you like say a lot about your personality. (Or maybe I just made that up.) But, they're a bright happy color (I like to consider myself happy & colorful) & they are very fragrant. (My family can attest that through my perfume-fascinated teenage years that I was quite fragrant.) And why buy a rose if it doesn't smell like a rose. I'm not a fan of false advertising.
In front of the rose I wanted to plant the bright blue-ish purple Salvia to hide the ugly thorny branches of the roses. They didn't have any already flowering, at "Green Thumb" so I just bought some seeds.

So, Saturday with the help of my hired (or espoused) muscle, we removed the dead agapanthus with all it's evil octopus-like roots and I set out to plant my beautiful flowers. The weather was beautiful; I felt like Spring was already here & I couldn't wait to have such lovely color in my front yard. A determination to mask the icky centipedes & beetles & some strange red spider I'd never before encountered. I even braved a near dog-attack from my neighbor's cranky canine. (And I'm sorry, but his half-Lab part does in no way mask the half-Rottweiler part!)
Finally I finished my planting. I fertilized & tenderly watered. I'm not sure if I expected them to miraculously bloom before my very eyes, displaying a reflection of myself in my garden. Trying hard not to burst into a "Veruca Salt"-like episode, I looked down and this is what I saw.

Ladies & Gentleman, apparently I am a stick in the mud. I just have to remember the Primary song, "Faith is like a little seed...if planted it will grow." We'll see come May how "faith"-ful I am.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Annie, I love your writing! And, as another weird coincidence in the Twilight Zone that is our parallel lives, I had those SAME ROSES in my wedding bouquet! (I'm not sure of their name, because my sister picked them out and had the bouquet made for me, but they look just like your picture!)

Angel said...

Last Saturday -was- a beautiful day -- we spent the day gardening also. I hope that your roses bloom beautifully and remind you of your wedding day!

Carrie L said...

That's what part of my backyard looks like too. Pretty depressing but then I look and Mom's rose "sticks" and have hope that they will be beautiful. I'm so glad you used the gift card! I've been wondering about it! Here's to a garden-ful of perfume this summer!