So, in my quest to be a competent seamstress, I thought I'd try something easy and of course, cheap.
Enter, the Dollar Store T-Shirt Flag dress!
I had an idea for a T-Shirt Dress in my head, and thought for sure someone else had probably done a tutorial somewhere. Sure enough, I found one here and here. (Cute blogs, too!) I didn't make my own tutorial on this one since, as usual, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing until after it's all done. (With quite a bit of seam ripper action in between.)I added a ruffle around the collar & at the bottom of the dress from an old red T-shirt of mine that is now shorter than I prefer. (Not crop-top short, just "at-the-waist" short; a length that kind of bugs me now. But oh, the knit fabric was so soft & yummy.) I just chopped the bulk of it into strips then ruffled them with a basting stitch before sewing them on.
Then I painted the stars on with fabric paint. You could totally use a freezer paper stencil or something from one of those awesome cutting machines, but since
Since I was having a tough time determining the front from the back, I stitched on a little tag.
(I was having entirely too much fun at this point. Time to wrap it up before I get too carried away!)There you have it! It makes me kind of giddy for the 4th of July! Maybe because it reminds me of the movie "Pollyanna"where she's in her flag costume. Or perhaps because it's a bit Wonder Womanesque. Either way, I can't wait to put my little cutie in it & head off to a parade! Happy 4th of July, everyone!
Linking up here:


6 comments:
This is adorable!! I love it - and your daughter looks so cute in it. These would make great gifts - thrifty, but they pack a big punch. :)
Saw you on 30 handmade days. :)
This is just adorable! Why didn't I learn to sew 6 yrs ago before my "baby" got so bigggg? Visiting from the Pity Party.
very cute and you are quite the pro
Oh my gosh, you are way too cute! Can I come live with you and have you make adorable clothes for me, too?
How do you find Time to do all that and still post it? Can't wait to see it tomorrow!
You never cease to amaze me! Ella looks adorable in it too!
Post a Comment