Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wearin' O' the Green

I'm not Irish, but like excuses to be weird. (I'm not saying Irish people are weird, I just like to celebrate in weird ways.)
St. Patty's Day had Spencer awakened to a trail of "Leprechaun coins" which he followed, leading him to breakfast. (Kind of backfired when he woke up earlier than usual before I could explain & I hear this "Hey, who left this money everywhere?" coming from the hallway.) The trail led to this...
I hadn't had Lucky Charms in years. It was my favorite cereal as a kid. I was just as excited to eat it as Spencer was!
Lunch was a bunch of green food with a bit of authentic Irish thrown in the mix. Glad my kids were into eating veggies that day.Thanks to "Allrecipes.com" my latest obsession. We had Irish Boxty which is like a Mashed Potato cake with a sour cream & chive sauce on the side. Not amazing, but I sure prefer it over Corned Beef & Cabbage. ; ) Plus, it had a little rhyme noted on the recipe, "Boxty on the griddle, boxty on the pan; if you can't make boxty, you'll never get a man'." (Said in your best Irish accent of course.)
Can't forget the Rainbow Cookies. Too fun! This was one of those recipes that while making you think, "I'm not sure this is worth all the effort." However, when they're done, it totally is! Pictured here with a little frosting & mini marshmallows, but I liked 'em better with the bottom dipped in whipped cream. We had a fun day talking like Leprechauns & dancing Irish jigs.

1 comment:

leah said...

I have a version of those rainbow cookies, except they are cupcakes and I always ask myself if they are worth it too and "why am I doing this?" but like yours, the end result is always worth it!