I read in the journal my mom kept for me (thanks mom!) that when I was 2, I really liked Mary Poppins as well. I thought, "Hey, might as well give it a shot with Spencer. Perhaps he'll at least like the part with the cartoons in it."He love the entire movie! He sings the songs ALL the time, even if his renditions require subtitles. His most common is, "Step in Time" to which he stomps his feet & bounces around the room. Unfortunately, his pronunciation isn't quite there yet & it sounds more like "Daddy Die" which could be taken the wrong way. He builds "birthday cakes" with his blocks & proceeds to sing "'Appy Berrrtday toooo Meewee Bopoon." At this rate, I'm guessing Mary Poppins must be somewhere around 5,000 years old on account of her daily birthday happenings.
While this phase is kind of driving Matt berzerk (he thinks I'm purposely teaching Spencer to like girly things) it has come in rather handy. Spencer loooves Bert (Can't blame him, I do too!).
So if he doesn't want to eat his lunch, or wear a particular pair of sandals or whatever, I just have to chime in, "Bert loves these sandals. They help him dance to 'Step in Time!" or "Mary Poppins wants you to tidy up the nursery, let's sing "A Spoonful of Sugar." This could be construed as lying to my child, but...it WORKS! (Plus, they're fictional characters...perhaps Bert really does love those sandals, but that chapter was left out of the book.) One of my favorite lullabies that I've been singing to Spencer even before he was born is "Stay Awake." So glad he loves it now, even if he sings it 4x faster than it's supposed to go. Plus, the "I Love to Laugh, Ha Ha Ha Ha" can always get him to open his mouth wide enough for a good teeth brushing.Each time we ask Spencer questions about who he'll see at Disneyland, he always says, "Mary Poppins." So...we better not be disappointed!
Plus - side note- as I was searching for pictures of Mary Poppins, I found a collection of photos of costumes some wonderfully talented mom had sewn for her daughter & posed with corresponding characters at Disney World.
Hope this isn't a form of stalking...but I had to share! TOO CUTE! I spent too much time looking at them. Just a reminder that the computer can suck up your time. Now, I better go start dinner!"Feed the boyyyys...tuppence a baaaag..."
3 comments:
Spencer has great taste! Love that movie.
Mary Poppins is at the beginning of the parade, so be sure not to miss it!
Of course he loves Mary Poppins! She looks just like his Mommy!
Post a Comment