Growing up, my favorite place to be was visiting my cousins in San Diego. When I was around 8, right after my Aunt Kathy had baby Byron (now getting ready to return from his mission...yikes!) my mom thought up an ingenious plan. You see, the Fisher family had 6 kids and it's a tough job cleaning up after everyone; especially after giving birth! So my mom invented the "House Fairies Anonymous." She, my sister & cousins Amy & Leah dressed up in goofy costumes from Grandma's costume box & put on the silliest red lipstick, armed ourselves with magic wands & cleaning supplies and headed over to the Fisher's house. (We traveled incognito because it's hard to turn away help when they look so goofy!) We went to town! Scrubbing, dusting & acting as silly as can be. In "character", of course. It was the most fun I ever had cleaning! I'm guessing it was the most fun Amy & Leah had cleaning their own house! I've since had the desire to write a children's book about it. Since I'm a slacker, it might not ever happen. And I can't find the photo proof of the occasion, so you'll have to settle with my preliminary sketch.
Monday, July 21, 2008
House Fairies Anonymous
I love my mom. I apologize for ever being an obstinate child who may not have appreciated fully her fun ideas at the time. But boy, do I ever now!
Growing up, my favorite place to be was visiting my cousins in San Diego. When I was around 8, right after my Aunt Kathy had baby Byron (now getting ready to return from his mission...yikes!) my mom thought up an ingenious plan. You see, the Fisher family had 6 kids and it's a tough job cleaning up after everyone; especially after giving birth! So my mom invented the "House Fairies Anonymous." She, my sister & cousins Amy & Leah dressed up in goofy costumes from Grandma's costume box & put on the silliest red lipstick, armed ourselves with magic wands & cleaning supplies and headed over to the Fisher's house. (We traveled incognito because it's hard to turn away help when they look so goofy!) We went to town! Scrubbing, dusting & acting as silly as can be. In "character", of course. It was the most fun I ever had cleaning! I'm guessing it was the most fun Amy & Leah had cleaning their own house! I've since had the desire to write a children's book about it. Since I'm a slacker, it might not ever happen. And I can't find the photo proof of the occasion, so you'll have to settle with my preliminary sketch.
Saturday morning, we reenacted the event & cleaned my newly re-mom'd sister Carrie's house. Unfortunately my mom did not dress in her original costume so I was left with the reoccurring nightmare from my youth of being the only one really decked out in costume. So, I took pictures with the kiddos instead. Spencer got a kick out of my new look. Or maybe he was just excited to pull off my glasses.
Here's Aurora with her dust rag. She didn't seem as enthusiastic about cleaning as I was.
Fun times! Way to go, mom for being creative & making cleaning fun. I hope to carry on this tradition with my family. Just maybe with a different theme, as Spencer might look a little too weird in red lipstick.
Growing up, my favorite place to be was visiting my cousins in San Diego. When I was around 8, right after my Aunt Kathy had baby Byron (now getting ready to return from his mission...yikes!) my mom thought up an ingenious plan. You see, the Fisher family had 6 kids and it's a tough job cleaning up after everyone; especially after giving birth! So my mom invented the "House Fairies Anonymous." She, my sister & cousins Amy & Leah dressed up in goofy costumes from Grandma's costume box & put on the silliest red lipstick, armed ourselves with magic wands & cleaning supplies and headed over to the Fisher's house. (We traveled incognito because it's hard to turn away help when they look so goofy!) We went to town! Scrubbing, dusting & acting as silly as can be. In "character", of course. It was the most fun I ever had cleaning! I'm guessing it was the most fun Amy & Leah had cleaning their own house! I've since had the desire to write a children's book about it. Since I'm a slacker, it might not ever happen. And I can't find the photo proof of the occasion, so you'll have to settle with my preliminary sketch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are way too cute! Wanna come clean my house?
How stinkin' fun! What a neat tradition. If you ever need to practice, come on by!
I'm so glad I finally got to see the pictures! Thanks for the fab job, house fairies!
Post a Comment